Re: Quick Reference Guide - format

Subject: Re: Quick Reference Guide - format
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:40:44 -0600

Frank,

I think it depends .... what are you documenting? Software? Hardware?
VCRs? Toasters?

Second, who is your audience? What is the environment in which they'll
use the QRG (for example, heavy equipment users in a garage, PC users at
their desks, call center agents at a tiny cubicle)?

Generally, QRGs will only contain brief sets of instructions for the
features most often used. Also, most of them use a lot of graphics,
although this depends again on what you're documenting and who you're
writing for. Unless you've got something very complex, 4-6 pages seems a
bit much. I'd stick to one page, both sides (if A4). You could have it
fold in half or three sections for ease-of-handling (again, depends on
the environment).

It seems to me that we've discussed QRGs in the past, though it's been
awhile. The general consensus was that they don't get used as much as
we'd like. For one thing, the users depend on them less and less as they
become more proficient with the program. They tend to get lost easily
and are more trouble to distribute.

Hope that helps you get started.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com

On Tuesday, November 11, 1997 11:20 PM, Frank Taylor
[SMTP:taylor_f -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il] wrote:
> What do our members consider to be the most popular format of a Quick
> Reference Guide (on a software program) and what should it contain?
>
> Is the 'flip card' format (with a spiral across the top) acceptable?
It