screen shots missing from doc

Subject: screen shots missing from doc
From: Kristie Craig <KKC -at- MACOLA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:24:14 -0500

Post if you can help...
The hard copy user manuals my department writes and maintains are in
Word (v7). The manuals contain screen shots of the company software.
The screen shots are called in from a .bmp file that sits out on the
documentation group's network.

After doing edits in the Word file, I print preview the entire document.
When I went to "print preview", I got a Word warning message to this
effect: Word has insufficient memory...you will not be able to undo
this action...Do you wish to continue? The warning box has Yes/No push
buttons, I selected No. I went back & forth between the document &
print preview several times, each time getting the same warning.

Here's the problem: When I updated the fields before sending the doc to
the printer - all of my screen shots were replaced with the error
message: Error! Invalid Filename. I know these file names are valid, so
that is not the problem. All of the fields that could be updated (page
numbers, cross-references, screen shots) in my document were replaced
with the same error .

The Warning and Error I received may be unrelated, but they were the
only things to occur during this maintenance pass that were out of the
ordinary (besides the disappearance of my screen shots). As I said
earlier, I am on a network. All of my co-workers go into the same files
and have never had this occur. If anyone has a clue as to what would
make this happen, please post it!

Thanks,
Kristie
Macola Software, Incorporated