great doc (was Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test [A Daydream])

Subject: great doc (was Re: Techwriter Aptitude Test [A Daydream])
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 09:27:37 EST

Megan McMacken <mcmackme -at- FRC -dot- COM> wrote:

> We as technical writers complain when the users won't read the
documentation we spend time and money putting together, but how often
do any of us read through or even skim the manuals for the gadgets we
buy? I usually wait until I'm thoroughly stuck before I pull out the
manual. Perhaps that's because so few manuals I have run across are
well-written, and it's easier for me to just figure it out myself
and learn in the process.

It's true. Couldn't agree with you more. And that's why I was so
surprised when I found a manual that came with the product and works
beautifully! Not only that, it's interesting, well-illustrated, and
witty!

The manual is for Civilization II by MicroProse. I've played the game
for quite a while, but I didn't crack the manual because, well, you
*know* how manuals are. Who needs them? You can figure out
everything you need without 'em, right?

Recently I actually did crack the manual, because I wanted to get my
spaceship to Alpha Centauri in the smallest possible time. (Yes, it's
one of those cerebral games. ;-] ) I was amazed! The manual
actually helped me!

I kept reading. It just got better! Now I really know more about the
game -- I know stuff I wouldn't have figured out by just playing it!
Who'd'a thunk it?

Maybe I'll read more manuals after this. I'll certainly read anything
this company produces. Hmm, let's see, Christmas is coming, I wonder
what new game MicroProse has made that I can get -- I mean get my son,
of course, yeah, that's it. ;-)

Anybody out there work on this manual? Kudos to you!

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)