Re: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text

Subject: Re: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:34:35 -0500

I handle it with a note on the inside front cover (same place I put our
copyright notice and related text) that states "XYZ is a trademark and PQR
is a registered trademark of ABC company" for all such names used in the
manual. And I end with "All other products included herein are trademarks
of their respective companies." Then I use no symbols in the body text.
This has passed our legal guys (and I seem to recall I read somewhere that
if you state the trademark info once you don't have to repeat it
throughout).

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc: (bcc: LOMBMML Ostapina Barb/OLS)
From: nicole.canter @ ADTRAN.COM @ METROMAIL
Date: 11/13/97 11:38:42 AM
Subject: Use of (TM) and (R) symbols in running text

>I understand that most companies would prefer you mention their brand
>names >along with a generic identifier and the appropriate mark -- e.g.
Zip(tm) >disk, Kleenex(tm) tissue, etc.

>I've seen this directive in mainstream writing trade magazines, but I
would >assume it would hold true with technical writing as well.

>-- David

I have really been trying to find out what the mainstream does with
trademarks. I regularly use the Chicago Manual of Style, which says

The symbols (R) and (TM), which often accompany registered trademark
names on product packaging and in advertisements, need not be used in
running text.

One of the things I do at work is publish a IT newsletter and product
names are all over it. Does anyone know what writers usually do about
trademark symbols in running text? My company doesn't have a style
manual of its own and no one in my department has a preference.
Thanks,
Nicole Canter
Technical Writer
Information Technology
Phone: (205) 963-6306
Fax: (205) 963-8717
nicole -dot- canter -at- adtran -dot- com