Re: Information about HTMLHelp

Subject: Re: Information about HTMLHelp
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:06:18 -0600

Maury,

I can suggest a place to start:

http://www.workwrite.com

But if you really want to learn a LOT more about HTML HElp, you're on
the wrong list. Subscribe to the WinHelp list. Here are the
instructions:

1. Send a message to listserv -at- admin -dot- humberc -dot- on -dot- ca -dot- Leave the subject
blank.

2. In the body of the message type:

SUBSCRIBE WINHLP-L

Notice that there is no "e" in the name of the list (WINHLP)

After that, you'll get a message back asking you to confirm . . . yada,
yada....

HTML Help is discussed EVERY day on that list . . . and sometimes by
people who are actually already developing with it! As for your comment
about not finding a lot of information, we're all in the same boat.
Microsoft has not released the final HTMLHelp yet. I think February is
now the target date. There are NO BOOKS available, but Steve Wexler (of
WexTech/Doc-to-Help fame) is writing the "Official Microsoft Guide to
HTML Help Authoring." It will be published by Microsoft Press and the
latest release date is Dec. 23rd. Bear in mind that Steve is shooting at
a moving target right now. He does quality stuff, though, and will no
doubt pull it off very nicely. Blue Sky Software (RoboHELP) has some
publications that you might find helpful.

You can download the HTML Help beta (and get the latest news) from
Microsoft's web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/workshop/author/htmlhelp/

Hope that helps. Someone suggested searching the archives, but I haven't
seen a lot on the techwriter list that will help you with the
information you mentioned in your message.

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,
AnswerSoft, Inc. Richardson, TX
(972) 997-8355
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com

On Thursday, November 13, 1997 3:22 PM, Maury [SMTP:alsacien -at- IBM -dot- NET]
wrote:
> I have been asked to make recommendations regarding online Help in my
place
> of work that require a knowledge of HTMLHelp. Aside from having heard
that
> the WinHelp compiler would, in the next version, work with compiled,
HTML,

If it's about technical communication--post it! If not, don't!