Dummies books and more on "Idiot Audience"

Subject: Dummies books and more on "Idiot Audience"
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:25:10 -0700

Since Deborah and I have our names on several of the
bright black and yellow books (and have won some
nice international STC awards with them), I'm going to kick in
two cents again.

Title notwithstanding (and I'll confess to posting EXACTLY what
Dave just said only a few years ago), Dummies books aren't
for dummies. They're for people who want basic, step by step
instructions in a specific area--domain, if you will--in which they
have little or no experience.

Dummies books handle audience analysis partially through
self-selection--an expert or purported expert won't buy them--
and partially through assuming _nothing_ but doing so in a
__NON-patronizing__ manner. Cover aside, there's nothing
patronizing about the content or presentation.

Based on reader feedback on one book in particular--the
HTML for Dummies Quick Reference--our audience includes
a substantial chunk of the readers of this list, HTML
teachers and trainers, and a healthy proportion of
12-14 year olds (!) from around the world.

Through audience analysis and keying on the significant
aspects of the audience needs, we've apparently been
able to meet the needs of both the youth contingent
and people on this list. We did that without focus groups
or studies. We just addressed what our users wanted
to DO, what they needed to KNOW, and how they
could most easily and effectively accomplish their goals.
Then we wrote to that target.

How to accommodate the audience breadth?
No problem--just clearly specify what you assume
they know, clearly state what you're going to help
them do, and copiously point them to reference sources
that will fill in any knowledge gaps they might have.

Damien, you might solve your problem by following
this approach: Tell them that you assume, for example,
Windows proficiency, then point them back to their
Windows manual or another book for Windows basics.
That gets you off the hook for computer fundamentals 101
yet still provides them with the tools they need.
If you clearly communicate your assumptions and
requirements for using the doc/product, it puts the
burden of meeting those requirements on your readers
and obviates the need to reinvent the wheel.

Eric

At 08:38 AM 11/17/97 -0800, Marilynne Smith wrote:
>I agree with Dave. My pride won't let me do it! I cannot read something
>when the publisher and author think I'm an idiot.

>At 11:27 AM 11/17/97 -0600, DAVE SNODGRASS, EXT. 7562 wrote:
>>Describing the audience as idiots seems to be a very successful publishing
>>strategy for many computer how-to books.
>>
>>Pure pride will never let me drag one of those yellow & black books to the
>cash
>>register.

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com