Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list

Subject: Re: Numbered list vs bulleted list
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:53:57 -0600

Don,

Always use a NUMBERED lists for two or more steps in a procedure that
must be followed sequentially (example: installation procedures).

Always use BULLETED lists for groups of items for which there is no
sequence (example: list of hardware requirements) or for a single
procedure (I prefer the sideways arrow or triangle for this one).

The little hand bullets went out with the dot-matrix printers and Aunt
Tillie's efforts at her sewing circle's newsletters. I'm not sure which
software docs your programmer has been looking at, but the nicer, newer
docs generally don't have a lot of clutter. When I teach the basics
(using Styles, bulleted lists, inserting graphics, etc.) of Word to
programmers, they tend to want three or four (at least) font styles,
every little bullet/symbol/geewhiz thing they can find, and they love
smacking a graphic in the middle of the page and wrapping text on both
sides. Sigh..... go figure!!! Like climbing Mt. Everest, I suppose
"....because it's there"!

The distinction between numbered (for sequential) and bulleted (for
non-sequential) is pretty standard and you'll find this addressed in
most DTP and technical writing texts.

Hope that helps,

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,