Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary

Subject: Re: Questions Re: Previous Salary
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 09:24:07 -0500

Tracy...I would never consider the idea of putting out the absolute
bottom rate that I would work for at the beginning of a discussion. The
original question is would you give the rates from previous assignments,
and I didn't see a problem with mentioning the range of rates for past
work. The reason for the range is that it gives the agency the
information they want but doesn't give competitive information about a
particular company or agency.

The bottom rate only becomes an issue if you need it for closing, where
they say "We want you but we can only pay $37." You come back and say "I
want the position, but only for a minimum of $39.00" The "minimum"
issue only comes out when they have revealed their cards and as a
bargaining point.

Tracy Boyington wrote:

> John Posada wrote:
>
> > When you get down to it, what harm does it do to mention rate
> > ranges...you're going to take the position with the rate you want, not
> > what you had.
>
> My post wasn't about ranges, it was about revealing your absolute
> minimum. I don't see anything wrong with saying "for this type of job I
> charge $40-$50 depending on the particulars." I just don't think you
> should ever say "the minimum I'll work for is $35." But employers have
> their own range of what they're willing to pay, and I'd prefer not to
> reveal my cards while they keep theirs hidden. Also, what if I announce
> that my rock-bottom-minimum is $35 and therefore take myself out of
> consideration for a job that I would have done for $30 just because I
> find it fascinating or fulfilling?
>
> Tracy
> --
> Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
> Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
> Stillwater, OK, USA
> http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm

John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global
Network
-work http://www.faxsav.com -personal http://www.tdandw.com
-work mailto:posada -at- faxsav -dot- com -personal mailto:john -at- tdandw -dot- com
-work phone: 908-906-2000 X2296 -home phone: 732-291-7811
My opinions are mine, and neither you nor my company can take credit for
them.

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10
of us are. Ask me about it.