Re: Font Tools and Libraries

Subject: Re: Font Tools and Libraries
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:07:54 -0600

In our previous episode, Miark said:

> Now that I know the source of my font problems, can you suggest an easy way
> to convert fonts from TT to T1. I've looked at Fontographer, but that would
> be overkill. Type-Design 3.1 would be too, but it's less than half the price
> so I might go for that. Anybody here ever used it?

I've heard that Fontmonger does that, though I haven't tried it.
Fontagrapher is definitely overkill, though it's a nice tool.

> I'm also looking for some font libraries recommendations. I've looked at
> Adobe's stuff, but the bang:buck ratio doesn't do anything for me. I like
> variety, but my needs are not elaborate, so I'm thinking more along the
> lines of Expert Software's _2000 Fantastic Fonts_ which includes 2000 T1
> fonts for a measly $20.

My experience with cheap fonts, especially ones that have sound-alike
names, is that you get what you pay for. I've done well with
Monotype's bargain fonts, but I haven't seen a package for those in
quite a while.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"A civil war is such an awful bother.
We fought at Tewksbury and still ran out of mustard.
I wonder where my brother Richard is." -- John M. Ford