Font Tools and Libraries

Subject: Font Tools and Libraries
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 20:34:39 -0500

Miark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM> wrote:

>Now that I know the source of my font problems, can you >suggest an easy way to convert fonts from TT to T1.

The only suggestion I can make on the subject is: don't do it. Even with
Fontographer or Type Design, the results are rarely satisfactory to
anything but the most careless eye.

Anyway, unless you're using something very exotic, you should be able to
find the equivalents of your TT fonts without much trouble.

>I'm also looking for some font libraries recommendations. I've >looked at Adobe's stuff, but the bang:buck ratio doesn't do >anything for me.

Yes, Adobe fonts are expensive, but you get what you pay for, and I've
never yet been disappointed by the quality of Adobe fonts.

You might consider buying single typefaces instead of whole families -
for example, many people can do without the bold italic font, or some of
the extra weights in the more expensive sets.

Also, if you're not in a hurry, keep an eye on Adobe's monthly specials.
You can often get a good deal.

>I'm thinking more along the lines of Expert Software's _2000 >Fantastic Fonts_ which includes 2000 T1 fonts for a measly >$20.

Again, you get what you pay for. I bought this CD right at the start of
my font fetish, and I was not overly impressed by the quality. I never
use it now.

A much better alternative (if it's still around) is Bitstream's 500 font
collections. Many people think Bitstream fonts are up to Adobe's
standards (I don't, in many cases, but they are still very
satisfactory). However, they are considerably cheaper: I think the CD
sells for about $40US.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189

"Non paseran!"
- Spanish Civil War slogan