Re: ISO9000 credibility

Subject: Re: ISO9000 credibility
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:45:20 +1100

Martin, Chuck wrote:

> Aye, but there's the rub. Development of both software and documentation
> is a creative endeavor. So, if ISO9000 doesn't concern itself with
> creativity, does that mean ISO9000 shouldn't be used in the software
> industry?

Not necessarily. I'm not convinced (having been in the game for longer
than I care to remember) that _development_ really is creative in the
sense of "undisciplined". Certainly, _design_ is creative, but once you
know what you are trying to produce, creativity needs to be harnessed --
otherwise, you start trying to produce MacOS, and you finish up with
Windows. Or something.
--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia