proofreading made easier

Subject: proofreading made easier
From: John Cornellier <john -dot- cornellier -at- CARDS -dot- DELARUE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:23:16 GMT

I discovered a nice labour-saving device for proofreading C program docs. OK,
it's not Rocket Science, but I thought I would share with you.

I'm working on a C (programming language) library reference manual. The manual
describes functions and parameters with case-sensitive names like
BwpCmSecrKBlcGetVirdKey and torglde_optcod. Yeah well, I guess it seemed like a
good idea at the time.

Obviously, proofreading this sort of thing would be a grim task indeed.

So I took the library header files and stripped them down into word lists,
removing the comments and stuff. (Header or *.H files are where you define all
the variables and functions in a C program -- they are by definition
definitive).

Then I inserted the word lists into a Word *.DIC (custom dictionary) text file.
Now when I do a spell check -- hey presto! -- word picks up any terms that are
not in the glossary (ie not in the header files) or have wrong capitalisation,
and finds a match. Not so grim!

You can do the same sort of thing in Frame, except it's a *.DCT file. And in
Frame you can define hyphenation.

Anyone else doing anything like this?

mailto:john -dot- cornellier -at- paris -dot- cards -dot- delarue -dot- com