Re: converting Word 6 docs to Word 7

Subject: Re: converting Word 6 docs to Word 7
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:31:11 GMT

Chris Knight wrote:

>...in what way does the ToC not work?

Er, in every way: when you generate the ToC, nothing appears. I fixed
these problems by cutting and pasting the text into a new document. I
suspect it was a template conversion problem, but I don't know.

> What do you mean by "shadow text"? text with Format/Shading applied?

No, it is text with the Shadow attribute set Word on the PC doesn't
support this, so you can't switch it off. Other software does support
it (including Word on the Mac) so some documents have it.

> How is it different?

Sorry, I don't really understand the question. Word 6 ignored the
shadowed attribute, but word 7 makes all shadowed text bold, leaving
you with no way to unbolden it, except to amend it in another
application.

> How are linked graphics on network drives handled differently?

I wish I knew! It is something to do with the way it stores UNC
pathnames, but files with relative links worked far more reliably in
Word 6 than Word 7. I can't seem to find a pattern to when it fails. I
just don't understand what's going on. Word has never handled linked
files well in any event.

Iain