Translators Suummary

Subject: Translators Suummary
From: "E,T, Hull" <ethull -at- WORLDACCESS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:11:27 +0100

Hello all,
Some time ago I posted the following:
"After seeing, and saving, some of the reactions to this thread (RE.
translations) I began to wonder:
- how many translators are on this list and
- what do they do and where are they".

Following is a summary of the replies I received.

Hallo everybody.
I have just joined the list and am looking forward to reading its messages.
I translate En and Ge into Italian and am pretty "untechnical", yet I hope
you will not mind ;->)
Ciao ciao
Laura Barbolini

Hi Ed,
I'm a part-time translator. The rest of my time is devoted to
technical writing (mainly user manuals), teaching technical
writing, and consulting companies on how to write in a user friendly
way. Besides, I also do some B-2-B market research.
To my experience, most manuals to be translated should in fact be
rewritten instead - and with my clients, that's often the final
solution. I know, you agree!
On languages I cover:
To: Danish and English (for English I recommend a native
proofreader afterwards).
From: English, German, Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish.

Regards
Peter Ring, PRC

Hi, Ed:
I'm Newton, from sunny Rio de Janeiro. I do localization work into
Portuguese, my mother language. And a few other things, tool
My reason for subscribing to TW is that I was curious to know how the
manuals I translate are constructed. Boy, have I learned things!

Newton
mendv -at- ax -dot- apc -dot- org
Rio de Janeiro
----------------------

Hi Ed,
I'm not a translator, but work in the localisation industry,
currently developing, documenting and maintaining software
used with Translation Memory technology. I'm based in
Dublin, Ireland, along with a good 70% of the world's
localisation professionals.
Look forward to your summary.
Best
Sarah
sarahc -at- indigo -dot- ie

I am a junior technical writer and works for a software editor in Paris.
I used to be a translator, English/French, (for a year only after
translation studies) and I specialized in management/quality texts.
Valérie GILLIOTTE
vgilliotte -at- mega -dot- com
Documentation
MEGA International - France

Hi Ed,
Yes, there are many translators on this list server! I work for a
biomedical
company (we make pacemakers and defibrillators) and translate mostly
academic
articles from English to German and rarely from German to English.
Marketing
material also crosses my desk. I am based in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Thanks for the polling.

Amy
Amy Coulter - German Language Translator
Biotronik, Inc. 6024 SW Jean Rd.
Lake Oswego, OR 97035 USA

I also translate from Dutch to English and, through Dutch speaking
colleagues, from English to Dutch.
My specialties are technical, business and marketing texts. Editing the
work of non-native as well as native writers is a large part of my
business.
I often get requests to translate into other languages. Are any of you
interested?

Ed Hull
Professional English
Vught, The Netherlands