Re: (1 of 3) Are there more good tech writing lists?

Subject: Re: (1 of 3) Are there more good tech writing lists?
From: Ken Reigner <cbs -at- ACCESS -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:18:43 -0500

Dear Mr. Rhodes:

This is Part 1 of a three-part posting about the many Internet-based
mailing lists aimed at writers. Because of posting length restrictions on
cover.

TECHCOMM is a list for technical communicators. To subscribe, send
e-mail to LIST -at- USER -dot- ITCONSULT -dot- CO -dot- UK, and on the first line of the *body*
of the message, put just the words "join TECHCOMM" (without the quotation
marks).

T-ITWG, the list of the International Technical Writers Group,
provides a central reference point for technical writers working around
the world. To subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- TWH -dot- NBG -dot- DE, and in the
*body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe T-ITWG your-name"
(without the quotation marks).

T-TELCOM is a mailing list for telecommuting and free-lancing
technical communicators. To subscribe, send e-mail to
T-TELCOM -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG, and in the *body* of the message, put just the
line "SUBscribe T-TELCOM" (without the quotation marks).

STUDENTS OF TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION (STC-LIST) is a list for
educators and students in technical communication. To subscribe, send
e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- NMT -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the words "SUBscribe STC-LIST" (without the quotation marks).

I recently started a mailing list called WIW-L. It is the discussion
list of Washington Independent Writers (WIW), a non-profit, professional
organization based in Washington, D.C., for independent writers, editors
and journalists. This list was set up to provide a place in cyberspace
where writers can meet and discuss writing-related issues.

To subscribe to WIW-L, send the one-line command

SUBscribe WIW-L your-first-name your-last-name

in the *body* of an e-mail message to

LISTSERV -at- CMUVM -dot- CSV -dot- CMICH -dot- EDU

using your real name, not a computer ID or e-mail address.

Washington Independent Writers also sponsors another list, WIW-JOBS,
which is used to distribute postings from the WIW Job Bank. To subscribe
to WIW-JOBS or to obtain information about joining Washington Independent
Writers, send an e-mail message to the WIW office at

WASHWRITER -at- AOL -dot- COM

Include your name, postal and e-mail addresses and area code and telephone
numbers.

You may also get more information about Washington Independent
Writers by conventional mail, telephone, fax or the World Wide Web:

Washington Independent Writers
220 Woodward Building
733 Fifteenth Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005 USA
+1 (202) 347-4973
+1 (202) 628-0298 (fax)
http://www.net-writers.org

As list owner of WIW-L, I have compiled a collection of other lists
that may be of interest to writers, editors and journalists. Because of
posting length restrictions on TECHWR-L, I am posting information on those
other lists in Parts 2 and 3 of this message under separate cover.

Sincerely,

Ken Reigner

--
Ken Reigner cbs -at- digex -dot- net
Chairman, Technology Committee wiw-l-request -at- cmuvm -dot- csv -dot- cmich -dot- edu