Re: (2 of 3) Are there more good tech writing lists?

Subject: Re: (2 of 3) Are there more good tech writing lists?
From: Ken Reigner <cbs -at- ACCESS -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:18:50 -0500

Dear Mr. Rhodes:

This is Part 2 of a three-part posting about the many Internet-based
mailing lists aimed at writers. Because of posting length restrictions on
cover.

As list owner of the Washington Independent Writers List (WIW-L), I
have compiled the following collection of other lists that may be of
interest to writers, editors and journalists:

CARR-L, Computer-assisted Research and Reporting, is focused on using
computers to do better journalism. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- ULKYVM -dot- LOUISVILLE -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the line "SUBscribe CARR-L your-name"--replacing "your-name" with your
real first and last names (not a computer ID or e-mail address) and
dropping the quotation marks.

send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- SAMURAI -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the message,
put just the line "SUBscribe A-WRITERS" (without the quotation marks).

ASJA CONTRACTS WATCH is a newsletter from the Contracts Committee of
the American Society of Journalists and Authors, serving as Contract
Information Central for free-lance writers and providing information about
the latest terms and negotiations in the world of newspapers and
magazines. To subscribe, send e-mail to ASJA-MANAGER -at- SILVERQUICK -dot- COM -dot- In
the subject line, put "CONTRACTS WATCH"; in the *body* of the message, put
just the line "JOIN ASJACW-LIST" (without the quotation marks).

BLACK ON WHITE (BOWLIST) allows writers to keep in touch, share tips,
give advice and offer support. To subscribe, send e-mail to
MAJORDOMO -at- MAJORDOMO -dot- LI -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the message, put just the
line "SUBscribe BOWLIST" (without the quotation marks).

BLUEDOG SOCIETE is a list for authors, orators, poets and writers to
submit their writing for publishing on the Internet. To subscribe, send
e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- ARMCHAIR -dot- MB -dot- CA, and in the *body* of the message, put
just the line "SUBscribe BLUEDOGSOCIETE" (without the quotation marks).

COMPUTER BOOK PUBLISHING is the focus of a list sponsored by Studio B
Productions Inc. The list's subscribers include people in the computer
book publishing industry, such as authors, publishers, editors, agents and
booksellers. To subscribe, send e-mail to LIST -at- STUDIOB -dot- COM, and in the
*subject* line, write "SUBscribe" (without the quotation marks).

COMSERVE is a suite of lists about human communication. For more
information, send e-mail to SUPPORT -at- VM -dot- ITS -dot- RPI -dot- EDU -dot- A human being will
respond with more information.

COPYEDITING-L is a list for copy editors and other defenders of the
English language who want to discuss anything related to editing: sticky
style issues; newspaper, technical and other specialized editing;
reference books; client relations; Internet resources; electronic editing
and software; free-lance issues; and so on. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTPROC -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just the line
"SUBscribe COPYEDITING-L your-name" (without the quotation marks).

CORREX-L is a list for foreign correspondents based around the world.
To subscribe, send e-mail to CORREX-L-REQUEST -at- TRUE -dot- NET, and in the *body*
of the message, put just the word "SUBscribe" (without the quotation
marks).

CYBER-HACKS is an informal critique, discussion and announcement list
for all writers, from the budding neophyte to the seasoned professional.
To subscribe, send e-mail to CYBER-HACKS-REQUEST -at- USERHOME -dot- COM, and in the
*body* of the message, include the word "subscribe" in the first line; if
you use a signature, add the word "end" on the second line (without the
quotation marks).

CYBERSCRIBERS is a list of international writers working on cultural
writings through cyberspace. The list provides feedback, critique of work,
general discussion about writing and a place to get to know other writers.
To subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- HOME -dot- EASE -dot- LSOFT -dot- COM, and in the
*body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe CYBERSCRIBERS
your-name" (without the quotation marks).

DCPUBS is a list for editors, designers, production staff and others
in the Washington, D.C., area working on publications who want to discuss
anything related to editing. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- ODPHP6 -dot- OSOPHS -dot- DHHS -dot- GOV, and in the *body* of the message, put
just the line "SUBscribe DCPUBS your-name" (without the quotation marks).

DOWNHOLD is a list for former United Press International employees
(ex-Unipressers) and others to exchange gossip and reminiscence of the UPI
wire service. To subscribe, send e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- LISTBOX -dot- COM, and in
the *body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe DOWNHOLD" (without
the quotation marks).

ESPRESSO-FICTION, the Caffeine-Induced Avant-Garde Writers' List,
welcomes all genres, but focuses on avant-garde fiction. To subscribe,
send e-mail to LISTSERV -at- HOME -dot- EASE -dot- LSOFT -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the
message, put just the line "SUBscribe ESPRESSO-FICTION your-name"
(without the quotation marks).

FICTION WRITERS' LIST (FWL) provides a place where fiction writers
can share their knowledge, skills and experience in an atmosphere of
mutual encouragement and support. To subscribe, send e-mail to
WORDPRO -at- FREEYELLOW -dot- COM, and in the *subject* of the message, put just the
line "JOIN.FWL-DAILY" (without the quotation marks).

FOI-L, State and Local Freedom of Information Issues, is a place to
post information, get FOI questions answered, discuss trends in the law,
share success stories, collaborate on getting access to public records and
support the public's right to know. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- SYR -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just the
line "SUBscribe FOI-L your-name" (without the quotation marks).

FREELANCERS is a discussion of free-lance writing, art, photography
or illustration as a career choice by professionals and serious students.
To subscribe, send a blank e-mail message to TWOSTAR -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM, and in
the *subject line* put "SUBSCRIBE FREELANCERS" (without the quotation
marks).

HUMORIST is a discussion list for humor writers. To subscribe, send
e-mail to MAJORDOMO -at- NIX -dot- KCONLINE -dot- COM, and in the *body* of the message,
put just the line "SUBscribe HUMORIST" (without the quotation marks).

INDEX-L, the Indexer's Discussion Group, focuses on indexing and
related topics. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- BINGVMB -dot- CC -dot- BINGHAMTON -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put
just the line "SUBscribe INDEX-L your-name" (without the quotation marks).

INET-NEWS is a discussion of Internet-accessible current news
sources. To subscribe, send e-mail to LISTSERVER -at- NSTN -dot- CA, and in the
*body* of the message, put just the line "SUBscribe INET-NEWS your-name"
(without the quotation marks).

IRE-L is a discussion of investigative reporting and editing
techniques and training. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTPROC -at- LISTS -dot- MISSOURI -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just
the line "SUBscribe IRE-L your-name" (without the quotation marks).

ISP-REPORTERS is a list for Internet Service Provider (ISP)
reporters, journalists and writers for reporting and collaborating with
other reporters covering ISP, e-mail, World Wide Web and any
Internet-related topics. To subscribe, send e-mail to
JOIN-ISP-REPORTERS -at- SPARKNET -dot- NET, and in the *body* of the message, put
just the line "SUBscribe ISP-REPORTERS" (without the quotation marks).

JOURNET-L is for journalism educators. To subscribe, send e-mail to
LISTSERV -at- AMERICAN -dot- EDU, and in the *body* of the message, put just the line
"SUBscribe JOURNET-L your-name" (without the quotation marks).

Because of posting length restrictions on TECHWR-L, I am posting this
listing of Internet-based writers' mailing lists in three parts under
separate cover. The remainder of the writers' lists are outlined in Part 3
of this message.

Sincerely,

Ken Reigner

--
Ken Reigner cbs -at- digex -dot- net
Chairman, Technology Committee wiw-l-request -at- cmuvm -dot- csv -dot- cmich -dot- edu