Re: Clarification on Text Styles

Subject: Re: Clarification on Text Styles
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 14:57:19 -0000

Beth Agnew wrote, asking how other writers handled typographical
conventions:

>I've sure appreciated the responses to my trolling for discussion on
>multiple text styles. However, it's evident that a little clarification
>might be in order.
> [huge snip...]
---
Hi Beth,

FWIW, I do denote user input, system response, screen object names, etc.
with different *styles* (i.e. Word or WordPerfect styles). Like yourself,
I've discovered that a page having many different type styles (i.e. fonts)
looks overly 'noisy'. This is why I use word processor styles as tags and
develop templates from which I can import the appropriate 'look and feel' (a
bit like DSSSL). That way I don't have to make formatting decisions until
just before I release the document.

WordPerfect is a beauty in this respect because its styles can contain
almost anything. So, for example, if I want to change "user input" from
Courier Bold to the body text font, and then delimit it with double quotes,
I just delete any font specification from the style and add a double quote
to either side. All instances of that entity type change to follow the new
typographical spec.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net