Re: Computer rights

Subject: Re: Computer rights
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 09:48:10 -0600

Technically speaking, zipping off a quick copy of a page from some
"Dummies" book on the library photocopier is a felony under federal
law. But who checks?

You might want to talk to your local librarian. Most libraries pay a fee
every year to a copyright clearinghouse type of organization (I think it's
"Copyright Clearance Center") to cover the photocopying of copyrighted
material.

The existence of a photocopier is no more an indication that it's legal to
make a copy of anything than the presence of complimentary matchbooks gives
permission to burn the place down. Some uses of the photocopier are legal,
and they are provided to service those legal situations. The illegal ones
are partly controlled by the signs put up near every photocopier and partly
remunerated by the fees.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224