Re[2]: (Fwd) Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers

Subject: Re[2]: (Fwd) Re: Not Wanted--Technical Writers
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 11:32:45 -0600

My question is why someone would want
to post really great comments but want to
remain anonymous???

Possibly to keep from getting harassed by those members who disagree. Why
does it matter, anyway?

Please consider posting with your sig.
so we know who is answering/responding
to a question of debate.

Again, why? What possible difference does it make who the poster is? If the
comments are great, as you claim, would a name attached make them more
great? Or less? Or would it simply be able to be used as a distraction? As
you point out yourself, the focus should be the viewpoints, not the
identities.

My comments may not always be the best
on this list but I am willing to post with my
sig. so that others may respond on list to
my comments or email me personally.

I do, too. But I'm not everyone, and I recognize that not everyone would
care to take the heat I've had to take from the more self-righteous members
of this list.

o What say some of you about "anonymous"
posts?

I say what matters is the viewpoint, not the name. There are many reasons
for anonymous posting. The minimal value a name would add to the discussion
is irrelevant. Yes, anonymity has its drawbacks. For one, it can help a
scoundrel to hide. But it's value is that it also allows us to speak the
truth without fear of retaliation.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224