QUESTION: W-2 vs. 1099 Hourly Rates

Subject: QUESTION: W-2 vs. 1099 Hourly Rates
From: KDFisher <KDFisher -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 11:01:44 EST

Hi there,

I was wondering if ya'll can straighten me out on this one. Is it true that a
tech writer should get paid more per hour for working on a 1099 basis than on
a W-2, even if the W-2 rate does not include benefits (or the writer chooses
not to accept, say, the medical plan because he/she may be covered temporarily
by a COBRA plan)? I was under the impression that how you establish rates is
based solely on whether or not bennies are part of the contract, because if
they're not you have to purchase them . And it seems like the only other
difference between the two is that with the W-2, the contracting company or
agency takes out taxes, whereas with a 1099 you take out your own.

Please respond to KDFisher -at- aol -dot- com -dot- Many thanks in advance for any comments!

Kathy Fisher - Tech Writer
Middleburg, VA
http://members.aol.com/KDFisher/kdfisher.html