Re: First Day Advice

Subject: Re: First Day Advice
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:56:14 -0500

Other people have given good advice on this subject, but I'd like to add
a couple of ideas of my own:

1.) When you've identified some of your SMEs, spend some time talking to
at least a couple of them about what they do. During this first
conversation, don't discuss how you'll work with them, or what you'll be
doing - discuss their work. Try to ask intelligent questions, and sound
interested (you should be without faking anything, because your work
depends on theirs).

In my experience, you can't go wrong by showing an interest in somebody
else's work. And, in this case, you'll be learning things you need to
know while establishing important working relations.

2.) While you don't want to appear too eager to revolutionize
everything, keep an eye out for some innovation you can implement
reasonably early. It might be something simple, such as revising the
layout for an existing layout, or encouraging the company to use Acrobat
for its on-line documentation.

In other words, show as early as you can that you can contribute
something. If people get the idea early that you're useful, then they're
more likely to continue to think of you that way.

3.) Avoid the temptation to hide away. That's easy for a writer to do,
and also very tempting, considering the personality of most writers and
the fact that you're new. However, tech-writers need people skills.

4.) If you have control over your work, make a documentation plan as
soon as possible. It may be necessary for your own sanity, and it's a
quick result that will show your competence.

Congratulations on the job, and good luck!

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"My friends, we will not go again to ape an ancient rage,
Or turn the folly of our youth to be the shame of age,
But walk with clearer eyes and ears this path that wandereth,
And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of death;
For there is good new yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green."
- G. K. Chesteron, "The Rollilng English Road"