Re: The Writer's Kit

Subject: Re: The Writer's Kit
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:43:13 -0500

> - I wasn't asking what software a (solo) TW should *know*; it's what he or she
> should actually *possess* (a big difference from an economic point of view)
> - I had made it clear to the client in question that I *didn't* have
> Pagemaker, but they took me on anyway, then said in effect "Well, you SHOULD
> have it - so now go find it." So the core of my question was - am I 'a

Hindsite is 20/20, but before accepting the contract and before quoting a price,
the client should have been asked what tools are required. You could have either
not wasted everyone's time or built the price(or part of the price) of the tool
into the contract...and no, they don't get the tool wehen you're done. It's now
yours and paid for.

> carpenter without a hammer' (as the client put it) because I don't actually
> *own* a fairly expensive piece of DTP software, or do I just lack a nice-to-
> have?

Nothing says that everyone should work on every contract. Don't confuse not being
able to justify the purchase of a tool as a legitimate reason for not using the
tool or for questioning the client's wish for it to be used. If the customer
requested it, then it is not a nice-to-have.

For that assignment, yes, you are that carpenter

> I might point out too that the project was short enough that actually buying a
> $600 package would have taken a significant bite out of my profit here.

Then you must walk away.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global Network

HEY! Are you coming to the NJ TechWriter lunch? So far, about 10 of us are.
Ask me about it.