Re: The Writer's Kit

Subject: Re: The Writer's Kit
From: John Posada <posada -at- FAXSAV -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:09:18 -0500

I was one who responded to Jim's message last evening, so I'd like to contribute a little to this discussion.

Granted that a writer cannot own everything. In my case, I OWN all but one of the first group, 2 of the second group and the first two of the third group (you forgot the whole web/html category). Granted, it is a sizeable collection to keep up to date. However, it's part of the territory and it's also part of my monthly budget ($200 per month toward software).

The ones I don't own are applications that I have never been asked to do work in. However, there is no question that should I take on an assignment, I take it on with the understanding that I will purchase all of the applications I need to do the job (if I cannot build the price of the software purchase into the job, they are tax deductible as a business expense), or I don't DO the job. It is my responsibility as a professional to produce the output that my clients request.

It is not that difficult a concept. If the customer specifies a particular output, do it or don't do it. Nobody likes walking away from work, but if you cannot do it, you cannot do it.

John