Re: The Writer's Kit

Subject: Re: The Writer's Kit
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:57:52 -0600

Jim,

Other freelancers will be better able to help you than I as far as the
toolkit for freelancers. On the second half of your post...

> Also, how much has desktop publishing implicitly become part of our
job
> description? Word has aspects of DTP, but my Word files have been
sent
> elsewhere for pre-press work. Whereas this most recent client
expects it all
> as part of TW work.

DTP has never NOT been part of my TW work. Even at my first job, where
I was an editor and we had typists, we were expected to know the
template and pick up the slack if the typists didn't have time.

I prefer to do all my own document design and write directly in my DTP
program (Interleaf, in my case). A typist seems unnecessary to me; if
my work was being typed/DTP'd by someone else, it would take twice as
long to get done.

Nora
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com