Tips for the Interviewer

Subject: Tips for the Interviewer
From: "Jelinek, Jennifer" <JJelinek -at- PLYMOUTHWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:18:59 -0600

I'm starting to interview to hire 2 graphic designers this week. I am
not a graphic designer, although I do have some background in document
design / layout. I can pick out a good design from a bad design and tell
you why. I can pick out a great design from a good design, but I
probably couldn't tell you exactly why the great design is better than
the good one. (I hope all that made sense).

I've been reading about interviewing, and have asked some of the other
managers where I work for advice, but I'm still nervous (heck, I'll
probably be as nervous as my interviewees). I would appreciate any last
minute advice on interviewing in general or my situation in particular.
Thanks much.

A SIDE NOTE: To those of you who were so helpful back at the end of
September when I received my promotion and asked for advice...my
"difficult" graphic designer has flown the coop, to both our benefits, I
hope. It'll leave us in a lurch for about a month (of course, he gave no
notice), but my outlook for the future has brightened considerably.

ALSO, some of you may noticed I FINALLY have an email address with my
married name on it (six months after the fact). There ain't nothin' like
PROGRESS in corporate America.
___
Jennifer Jelinek
Marketing Services Manager