Re: Tips for the Interviewer

Subject: Re: Tips for the Interviewer
From: Anita Collins <acollins -at- ROCKTENN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:47:11 -0500

In my first interview from the other side of the table, the person I was
interviewing and I were both sweating bullets and we both thought we'd pass
out before the end of it. I wanted to hire the guy just because we'd been
through such a traumatic experience together and we'd bonded. Fortunately,
my manager also interviewed him and actually looked at his qualifications,
which it turns out didn't match our needs.

From that experience I learned how important it is to get a second opinion
if you can, preferably someone who will also be working with the person.
Also, be sure to take your time. I'd interview lots of people so you can
get a feeling for the skills people have and for people that you find easy
to talk to and difficult to talk to. Interviewing became much easier when
I started looking at it as having a conversation in which I'm trying to get
to know the other person. If you can have a good conversation with a
person during a stressful interviewing situation, that's a very good sign.
Hope it helps,
Anita