Re: "The User"

Subject: Re: "The User"
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:42:49 -0600

I use it when there is a reason for me to expect that the reader and the
user are not the same person. Since some of the software I document has
separate development and runtime modes, that isn't an unusual situation.
When I use the term "the user" it tends to refer to the user of the
thing the person reading the help is building. In most of those cases,
though, the words "developer" and "operator" are most appropriate.

But I think you were talking about addressing the reader in the third
person. I don't do that unless I have to because of document guidelines.
I haven't had to recently.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com