you vs.

Subject: you vs.
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:08:37 -0800

Re: 'you' < > 'the user'

Mil-Specs discourage use of 'you,' but when a
person MUST be referenced, it is by job title
(e.g. the Flight Officer will ..., the CQ is ...).

May not be 'friendly,' but /I/ think it works
wonders for clarity. (Given the sometimes dangerous
environments, I'll opt for clarity over friendliness
any time.)

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
Who is wise? He who learns from every person;
Who is honored? He who honors others.
(R. Ben Zoma [Avot 4:1])