Re: Why should I fill this out...

Subject: Re: Why should I fill this out...
From: Barb Ostapina <Barb -dot- Ostapina -at- METROMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 18:15:43 -0500

If anyone's keeping score, I had the same reaction that Alison did. But,
you know, it's the end of a long day after a long holiday and maybe we're
all tired.
--B

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc: (bcc: LOMBMML Ostapina Barb/OLS)
From: pechenick_edu @ WEBTV.NET @ METROMAIL
Date: 01/06/98 06:18:43 PM EST
Subject: Why should I fill this out...

Please do take the following as a constructive remark, because I am
enjoying this list as the most on-task and helpful I have seen to date:

Having lived and worked overseas, I know that choice of vocabulary is
often misconstrued as rude, when it actually springs from another
culture's framework. Even British English spoken by natives falls in
this category. I read politeness and consideration in the request,
placed at the end, after the task was defined. "I require" was not
intended to be high-handed, rude, demanding, arrogant (IMHO).

Obviously, it would indeed take time to answer the survey, and I am not
speaking for or against that aspect, merely suggesting that this is,
perhaps, a style and/or cultural misunderstanding.

Thanks for listening,

Alison Pechenick