Re: Question: Usability

Subject: Re: Question: Usability
From: Arthur Elser <aelser -at- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 07:24:03 -0700

Jane Bergen wrote:

>I'm looking at combining some very technical material with a user guide.
Both are fairly small (less than 100 pages). Previously we used two
separate documents, but I'm considering integrating the material. I want
to do it in a way that neither intimidates less technical users nor
"turns off" the techies. Has anyone else done this successfully? If so,
how?<

Jane,

Have you considered constructing modules each task, starting with the
step-by-step info and "peeling the onion" into more and more technical
detail? That way, novice users can get immediately to the stuff they
need, intermediate users can get a bit more detail, and advanced users
can keep reading for the "techie" stuff. HP developed a strategy like
that for information delivery several years ago, and it worked pretty
well.

Readers will quickly learn your structure and be able to find the level
of detail they need.

Art Elser (303) 965-4825
Information Developer, U S WEST aelser -at- uswest -dot- com
There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you
in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.
Illusions Richard Bach