Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability

Subject: Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability
From: David Whelan <dwhelan -at- PANGEA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:05:50 -0600

Ron brings up some interesting questions:

>How does a contractor generally indicate that they "understand your
business?" Do they provide a consulting report that outlines their
understanding of your business issues? If they miss the mark, does the
contractor research and preparte the report again, gratis?

I don't provide a business-issue report; I usually write an initial
information plan, then edit it according to discussions with my client.
This doesn't indicate that I know the client's business, but it does
indicate that I know their documentation needs. I produce the information
plan at no cost to the client: I regard it as a marketing cost.
Occasionally a client takes this plan and gives the job to someone else or
does the work internally: c'est la vie.

>If the contract is on an hourly basis, and the deliverable is late (for
whatever reason), how do you determine who pays for the extra time?

Late deliverables do not always mean extra time. They most often occur
because the client has not provided the expected input information on time.
To avoid late deliverables due to client tardiness, I put critical
measurements, such as the maximum time it will take client SMEs to respond
to technical queries, into the Information Plan.

To decide who pays for extra time, I offer three contract options: straight
time, fixed price, and estimated price.

If the client goes for straight time (my usual preference), the client pays
for my time regardless of late deliverables, although, if a deliverable is
going to come in later than expected I make sure everyone involved knows
about it (and the reasons for it) well in advance.

For fixed price contracts, the client pays the fixed price whatever the
circumstances: if I take longer to do the job, I carry the cost, if
shorter, I benefit.

For estimated contracts I charge 30% up front and the adjusted remainder
when the job is finished. Unlike my other two options, estimated contracts
leave some room for negotiation. Most of the time, my estimates are fairly
accurate; if they aren't, I usually know about it early on. If I am going
to take longer than I have estimated, I tell my client as soon as I am
sure. I might swallow the cost, split the difference, or charge the client,
depending on the circumstances and the contract. If shorter, I reduce the
bill accordingly and tell the client about it when I present the final
bill.

>If the deliverables fail to meet the client's standards of quality, is the
onus for meeting those standards on the contractor?
Yes.

>How do you allow for unrealistic standards on the client's part?
Make sure the client understands what you are going to provide and document
it in the Information Plan and Content Specification.

>Does the contractor have the responsibility for setting the quality
standards up-front?
Yes.

Regards,
Dave.

Dave Whelan, Technical Writer
Whelan Technical Services (204) 334-1339
mailto:dwhelan -at- pangea -dot- ca
http://www.pangea.ca/~dwhelan