Telecommuting conversation, continued -Reply

Subject: Telecommuting conversation, continued -Reply
From: Christine Fedruk <CFED44 -at- CBOT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:25:28 -0600

Joanne,
Of the 5 managers I've worked with during the past 6 years, only one
had any tech writing experience. (eternal thanks to Mary Lou -- she
taught me so much!) I'm in a systems development environment, where
many managers came up through the ranks as developers / analysts...
some recognize the VALUE of tech writers, but don't quite know what to
do with us. They know all about programming technologies, but are in the
dark when it comes to doc tools and processes.

An informal poll tells me that my colleagues also came from similar
backgrounds -- only two of us (out of 5) had EVER worked with a "real"
TechDoc manager who had formerly been a TW.

For what it's worth,
Christine
Chicago, IL

>>> Joanne Vinton <jvinton -at- TELEPORT -dot- COM> 01/08/98 10:01am >>>
... I'd expect most tech pubs managers to be former writers, who would
be very familiar with technology. So, is that not true? Have most tech
pubs managers come from disciplines other than tech writing?