Re: The Holy Wars -- LAME!

Subject: Re: The Holy Wars -- LAME!
From: Andrew Plato <aplato -at- EASYSTREET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:17:10 -0800

Wow, this really has sparked a lot of responses (I've received about 45
private emails since this morning). Its a good thing I am offline today and
not at a client site.

I just wanted to say that I too feel like I did the right thing, but it was
not without feeling icky. It is hard when a client asks for my opinion, but
I know some people don't want to hear it. In my defense, they asked for my
opinion and a recommendation. I was well and good to stay out of the wars.
I have seen lots of companies become paralyzed with holy wars and it is
really pathetic. I usually just stay out of the way when I am contracting
and let the full-timers duke it out.

As it was, this client decided to standardize simply based on costs and
portability needs. I did not encourage them to standardize to Word. The
decision was already made before I got there. I just supported that
decision.

Thanks again for the input everyone.