Freelancing information?

Subject: Freelancing information?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:34:16 -0600

Christina Prell asked for information on starting out as a
freelancer. I've been doing a book review of Peter Kent's
book "Making money in technical writing" (McGraw-Hill
1997), and I'm about half done. From what I've read so far,
it's excellent: written in a friendly style, clear, to the
point, and comprehensive. Peter's career philosophy is
unabashedly pro-freelance/anti-wage-slave, but he's
remarkably fair and balanced in his accounts of the pros
and cons and gives sensible guidelines on assessing whether
you're cut out for the carefree life of the freelancer. I'd
certainly recommend the book, unless something really odd
happens in the second half of the book... the Jekyl/Hyde
thing, dontcha know! <grin>