Problem contracts

Subject: Problem contracts
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:34:33 -0600

Eric Ray reported a problem with a good contract gone bad
as a result of the bureaucracy kicking in. Eric, I spent 6
years working with the feds, so I know whereat you speak.
In my experience, the only thing you can do when the
bureaucrats step in is engage in some lateral thinking: you
won't get anywhere with the bureaucrats, so go right over
their heads.

In my case, I went to our Director General, who fortunately
had an open-door policy. In your case, ask the receptionist
for the name of the president's (or CEO's, Accounting
Manager's, etc.) executive secretary, and call her. Explain
the issue to her and ask for her permission to fax a letter
for her boss' review and her assurance that she'll actually
pass it along instead of trashing it... The fact that the
company's costs increased and that they're not paying a
legally valid invoice ought to attract some attention. If
you're lucky, the prez will lean on the bureaucrats who
created the asinine policy and at very least unfreeze your
cheque. You might even earn some brownie points for
pointing out a case of bureaucracy run amok. Of course, you
might get stonewalled there too, but it's worth a try,
particularly since you don't seem to have much to lose by
trying.

If all else fails, look elsewhere for work. Depending on
where you live, your reputation should open plenty of doors
and earn you a friendlier reception elsewhere. Call your
contact at the company, and explain you'd love to return as
soon as the situation improves. Then send a polite letter
explaining why you've left for his or her files, with a cc:
to the senior manager you tried to reach earlier.