Re: A Hot Commodity

Subject: Re: A Hot Commodity
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 09:58:10 -0600

On Tuesday, January 13, 1998 9:45 AM, Nina L. Panzica
[SMTP:panin -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM] wrote:
> At 11:38 PM 1/12/98 +0000, Joe wrote:
>
> >I don't know about the DC area, but in the New England, contract jobs
> >are booming. There are more jobs than applicants. I get 3 or 4 calls
> >week for contract jobs.

and Nina Panzica followed with:
> Same situation applies to Atlanta, and has for the last five months. A
> local writer friend of mine is experiencing the same thing. Perhaps
this
> is because he, like me, has flooded the market with his resume.

I've been hearing lots of wailing in the media lately that we have a
dire shortage of high-tech workers in the U.S. and that many job
openings are going unfilled. Seems that the White House has even asked
for a special task force to study the problem. Usually the context is
that of programmers, analysts, etc. but no mention of technical writers.

In Dallas I've heard fellow STC members say they are also turning away
contracts. I get calls from recruiters nearly weekly, even though I'm
not a contractor, have worked here for four years, and have no resumes
out (yet...I'm about to reconsider that, though). Does this mean we're
finally "a hot commodity" too? Are we now recognized as vital to the
"IT/high tech" (a pretty "iffie" term) industries? How is it around the
rest of the country? Any trends seen developing as to the types of
technical writing desired?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer,