Re: Cold calling

Subject: Re: Cold calling
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:07:25 EST

In a message dated 98-01-14 01:53:42 EST, leslie -dot- bythewood -at- erols -dot- com writes:

<< If I were cold calling, I'd be more specific about whom to speak with. >>
Agreed. But if you're calling a wide variety of companies, the function is
not always so predictably defined - sometimes it's a Manager of Engineering
who hires freelancers to do the doc, sometimes it's a staff writer who needs
help, sometimes it's a documentation department. Helps to be able to guess by
the kind of business. But you can't always.

<< Otherwise, you might find yourself talking to technical writers who may not
feel so charitable, particularly if they feel threatened that you're angling
for their job. >>
On the other hand (as was my experience) they may be very supportive and offer
you leads or simply enquire how this process is working for you. In a cash-
rich, overburdened company, they may even be the ones who say "we need HELP!"

I encountered very few uncharitable people in my calls, just one cold fish (I
still don't know why he didn't just have his receptionist tell me to scoot)
and one out and out paranoid - "How'd you hear about our company? How'd you
get our number?" (No they're not military - they make educational software.)

One advantage of a long series of layoffs over the last few years is a sense
of solidarity among people at all levels and on all sides. No one knows when
*they* might be the one making the phone calls.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval
NEW - links on financing films