Re: Mass documentation organization effort

Subject: Re: Mass documentation organization effort
From: Kathryn J Acciari <acciari -at- ACSU -dot- BUFFALO -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:21:48 -0500

Gina,

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Gina Hertel wrote:
<snip>
> (1) Does a company-wide documentation organization project seem
> like something that could/should fall under the responsibility of the
> Technical Communications Department? <

Since it would appear that this would involve the placement of files on a
network, or Intranet site, then yes this is appropriate for the Tech Comm
Dept. If it is a paper project, with no electronic file management
involved, then I'd say it seems like more of a job for an administrative
support person who owns a large file cabinet.

> (2) If no, who should be responsible for this kind of mass
> organization effort? <

Does your company have a general Communications department?

> (3) If yes, how would any managers/members of a Technical
> Communication department go about doing this? <

I'd set up a location on my company's file server, with a subdirectory for
each department. Then train each department to store their documents in
the appropriate folder. The directories would, of course, have to be
shareable across the company. You could store the index document in the
root directory.

> (5) Does anyone have any idea how LONG a project like this would
> take? <

Depends on how cooperative your co-workers are. I would think that it
could be completed within a week, if your co-workers take the
responsibility for moving their own docs out to the shareable directory.

Kathryn Acciari
acciari -at- acsu -dot- buffalo -dot- edu