Re: Cold calling/off-site work (was Re: DISCUSS: Shortage of techwriters?)

Subject: Re: Cold calling/off-site work (was Re: DISCUSS: Shortage of techwriters?)
From: "Nina L. Panzica" <panin -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:29:11 -0600

At 10:58 PM 1/14/98 +1100, Michael wrote:
>JIMCHEVAL wrote:
>
>> ... By the way, you didn't mention where you are.
>
>But Jean's whole point was that, for teleworkers, location is
>immaterial!

Really? I've been a teleworker for nine years and in my experience,
location, while not everything, is extremely material. Although it has
happened once or twice, rarely are clients in another city willing to work
with me as a teleworker: I'm just too far away for comfort, I think. Most
of my offsite work is done with clients in my own city: they feel safer, I
think, having me only a short commute away. Also, the majority of
telecommuting writing jobs that I see advertised require the writer to live
in the same metro area as the client or employer.

Nina P.
____

Nina Panzica
Masterpiece Media
(404) 237-7889
Can't reach me at the above number? Try my pager: 404-596-7889
mailto:panin -at- mindspring -dot- com
http://www.mindspring.com/~panin/

Links to other Technical Writers:
http://www.mindspring.com/~panin/writers.htm