Re: Information scientists

Subject: Re: Information scientists
From: "Jody R. Lorig" <jlorig -at- KAVOURAS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:12:09 +0000

Gina Hertel wrote:

>Some suggested that I consider adding an information scientist or
technical librarian to my group.

>1.)What else (other than help with a mass doc org) could this person
do?

Gina

One advantage a technical librarian can bring to a group is that they
will become the person who is knowledgeable in the documentation that
is available from multiple sources (tech writing, hardware $ software
engineering, production, field service, etc) as it applies to the
products your company produces. Any time a central point can be
provided for widely disseminated information, the higher the
likelihood that it will be consistantly available, uniform in
appearance, timely, and people will only have to look for information
in one spot.

When one location is the place to look for information, users will be
much more likely to look up or request information to verify its
accuracy. If information is scattered throughout the entire
organization, and difficult to locate, quite often parts of the
information will be left out rather than introduce errors caused by
inaccurate information.

To see if you need such a person, look around your own projects and
see if a central contact for information would help your SMEs, your
production personnel, and mostly yourself.

Jody Lorig
Kavouras Inc.