Re: Proud Non-members

Subject: Re: Proud Non-members
From: Daniel Wise <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 20:30:34 -0600

Colleagues,

As a member of STC who is looking forward to celebrating 40 years in the
Society next year, I can agree with the opinions expressed by prople like
Lisa Higgins. Obviously, Lisa does not now work with a product that
requires her to know even the smallest thing about paper. Therefore, a
presentation on paper would be grimly boring for her. For others grammar
would be equally boring. For me, a droning presentation on the relative
merits of Page vs Frame vs who-knows-what would put me to sleep in a
heartbeat.

If the meetings of Lisa's STC chapter were so unendurable, she had the right
to drop out. If she tried earnestly to get some programs presented that
were of more interest and failed, she should have been discouraged and quit.

STC is not for everyone. I like it that way. I have liked it that way for
almost 40 years. Members have come and members have gone in every chapter I
have been associated with. One thing remains relatively constant, though.
The members who stayed the shortest time were those who declined to put much
of themselves into the chapter--for whatever reason.

If Bruce and Barb and Lisa can stand up and proclaim that they are proud
non-members of STC, I just have to stand up and say that I am a proud member
of STC. For me it has worked. I have gotten something out of my membership
that I believe I would not have gotten otherwise. If it did not work for
you, you did the right thing by dropping your membership.

But is that something to brag about?

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com