Getting a Manual Printed

Subject: Getting a Manual Printed
From: David Janus <davidj -at- EXPERTEZ -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:06:02 +0200

All:

I'm having some trouble getting my manuals printed. Maybe someone out
there can give me some advice.

I'm the lone technical writer in a company where the development team
(including myself) is located in Israel and the marketing team is in New
York. It was decided a long time ago (before I started) that printing
would be taken care of in New York by the marketing office (seeing as,
currently, our products are intended only for the US market, it seems
logical). The problem is that the person in our marketing office who is
dealing with the printer doesn't seem to understand my requirements and
doesn't seem to be asking the right questions of the printer.

I produce my work in Word 7 and then output it to a PostScript file
using a Docutech driver. My understanding is that any decent printer
should be able to simply take the PS file and print it without any
problem. Well, evidently the file gives them some problems. Their
suggestion? Use Quark. Are there any technical writers who use Quark?
Why would they be having problems with a PostScript file? From reading
this list as well as speaking with other technical writers, I know for a
fact that a good number of technical writers somehow go from Word files
to printed copy. How do they do this?

Any suggestions as to how to deal with the situation would be much
appreciated. And, if anybody out there can give me the name of a
NYC-area printer who has a lot of experience printing manuals, that
would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,
David Janus

---------