Re: Getting a Manual Printed

Subject: Re: Getting a Manual Printed
From: David Hirschler <DGHirschler -at- AUTOMATEDLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:17:46 -0500

David Janus wrote:

> All:
>
> I'm having some trouble getting my manuals printed. Maybe someone out
> there can give me some advice.

David,

We print most of our manuals on the Xerox Docutech, so I have a lot of
experience "getting it to work". Here are few items that I recommend:

1. Try proofing your PostScript (PS) files with Adobe Acrobat first by
running them through the Distiller. If the Distiller chokes on it, then
there is a problem with the file. If necessary, print each page
individually. Perhaps there is a True Type font or a problem with a
graphic. Also, the Adobe web site has a few technical documents on dealing
with PS files. I remember one which describes how to insert codes directly
into a PostScript file to aid troubleshooting. Another one documents the
various Distiller errors.

2. Try using different PostScript printer drivers. They are not all the
same. However, I think that using the Docutech driver is best in your
case, since it was written for the output device you plan to use. This
driver can be downloaded from the Xerox web site. Adobe has also written a
good one, available from their web site.

3. Make sure your PostScript printer driver is set to "Optimize for
Portability."

4. Try outputting your file as an EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) file
rather than as a PS file. There should be a setting in your application
software or in your printer driver that allows this. The difference is
that the EPS file does not include the PostScript header which can confuse
some output devices. Naturally, the EPS file is smaller in size.

5. Try printing your document directly to a PostScript laser printer.
Next, try dumping the PS or EPS file to the laser printer (if you are on a
network, get the ISS guys to show you how to enter the correct network code
to do this).

6. If you compressed your files before sending them, make sure the
recipient has the tool to uncompress the files.

7. You can send your PostScript files to various printing companies over
the Internet, who will print the books and send them anywhere. To find
them, just search for "Docutech" in your favorite search engine. By the
way, this step will also yield links to more helpful advice on this
subject!

Hope this helps,

David Hirschler