Re: Manual non-standard font question

Subject: Re: Manual non-standard font question
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:33:10 -0800

At 06:49 PM 1/19/98 -0800, Tom Herme wrote:
>I have a question for all of you. I have a 300 page manual that uses a
common serif
>font, twelve point for body text and headings. The product name includes
32 at the end,
>for example, "Software32" to distinguish it from our older DOS product. I
include a
>non-breaking space between "Software" and "32".
>
>My marketing manager wants to format every instance of the product name in
Brush >Script and give a superscript appearance to the 32.

>I question the readability of this since every page may have multiple
instances of the
>product name. I think that readers may become distracted by this.
>
>I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. Please reply on the list.

I agree with you completely. Changing the font for every occurrence of the
product name to match the format of the logo would be immensely
distracting. It's one thing to do that for marketing materials, but
another thing entirely to disrupt the flow of text with it. I want my
readers to focus on the content of the text, and I trust that as they read,
they remember what product they are reading about. I don't feel the need
to emphasize its name by using a special logo font over and over again.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
mailto:editrix -at- slip -dot- net

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"