Re: Manual non-standard font question

Subject: Re: Manual non-standard font question
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:34:09 -0500

I agree with everybody else, but I'd approach the marketing person
a little differently.
I would have created a document of some kind that stated the
purpose of the manual and profiled the anticipated user. Do that now if
you haven't, and
then show the marketing person how this plan doesn't fit in w/ the the
manual's purpose. Point out how this is like the marketing person having
to include engineering specs in ad copy: the information is great,
wonderful, innovative...but it doesn't promote the purpose of the ad,
which is to generate name awareness/get people to call Sales/or whatever.
Likewise, using this format to make the product name stand out
interferes w/ the *manual's* purpose, which is to faciliate use. Maybe
print a couple of pages (maybe not--unless you pick the right pages!)
Point out it's not the decision maker who will be using the manual (if
that's true).
You're on the same side. Yes, you both work for the co., but
they pay each of you to contribute to sales in your own sphere.
Mary

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)
durl -at- buffnet -dot- net