Re: Tool for drawing technical diagrams

Subject: Re: Tool for drawing technical diagrams
From: "Rodney A. Hoiseth" <roth -at- GOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:11:02 +0900

>> At 09:56 AM 1/20/98 +1000, you wrote:
>We occasionally draw technical diagrams which are embedded in Word 97
>documents. The diagrams don't really fit a standard (such as
>electrical diagrams, etc). Currently, we use the Word Picture
>functionality to create the diagrams, but find it fiddly and
>cumbersome. We have also tried Micrografx ABC Flowcharter and a
>really old version of Visio.
>
>What packages are available to create very basic technical diagrams?
>
>Are there any critiques of the packages? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>
>Kylie

I haven't seen anyone recommend Claris Works yet. I use Claris Works, on my
PowerBook especially, because it is compact and versatile. I like MS Word
(up to version 5.1 anyway ;-) because of its extensive style sheets, its
compatibility with PageMaker, and its power to open a variety of documents
in a variety of formats; but for everyday work, Claris Works is _very_
useful -- since all its functions are so well integrated, it requires so
little memory and disk space, and it is so much more stable than MS Word.

I have done several projects that included drawings, both simple and
complex, in Claris Works' drawing program and found it more than
satisfactory.

Rodney
(in Hayama, Japan)
(Just back to the list after a long self-imposed exile...)