Re: Writing samples and portfolios

Subject: Re: Writing samples and portfolios
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- ITC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:20:46 -0700

While I agree that it's good to have a strong portfolio, I have seen it
backfire. A manager I know rejected a candidate who came in with a
really slick portfolio. Reason? He figured the guy was so intent on
advancing his career that he'd be looking past the job that needed to
be done (and wouldn't hesitate to leave mid-project).

Employers are concerned about their company's future. I don't think the
fact that a prospective employee is committed to that employee's future
is the "most important piece of information' an employer is hoping to
discover. It's useful, but only to the extent that the personal goals
are compatible with and further the employer's goals. While often the
case, it does not necessarily follow that someone who cares about their
own future cares about their company's future.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov