Re: Writing samples and portfolios

Subject: Re: Writing samples and portfolios
From: Katav <katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:21:06 -0800

Maybe it's 'cause I'm (literally) a grey beard, or maybe 'cause I've
been TWing a few years, but on the last several (successful)
interviews I've shlepped along what seemed a ton of documentation
samples ...
AND NOBODY WANTED TO SEE THE STUFF!

Mind, I was hired for the job.

To be fair, the hiring managers were NOT pubs people.
Still, I can't recall the last time I was asked to trot out samples
... the last time I think I told the interviewer ... 'Look, I dragged
all this stuff; look at it while I massage my sore arm.' (Yes,
Virginia, chutzpah IS ok [in small doses]. Besides, the prospect
should know the type nut being invited to do a doc job.)

Perhaps younger, less experienced TWers need to carry along a
portfolio (as I did when I was a young newspaper person - oh young
person, am *I* politically correct), but after a decade or so, it
seems to be less in demand. Any other grey (gray) beards care to
comment?

==
Katav ( katav -at- yahoo -dot- com )
Who is wise? He who learns from every person;
Who is honored? He who honors others.
(R. Ben Zoma [Avot 4:1])