FWD: Tech Writer Skills

Subject: FWD: Tech Writer Skills
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:37:06 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Tony Rocco wrote:

<snip>>recruiters and employers want a laundry list of skills that have
nothing to do with the ability to write clear sentences
and organize information. </snip>

Well said, Tony! When searching for my first Tech Writing position, I
was frustrated by many recruiters/employers who were seemingly
"indifferent" to my writing and editing abilities. Most of the ads and
requisitions I saw *rarely* mentioned the ability to write
understandable, logically constructed, and grammatically correct text
as a requirement. Usually, I was presented with a laundry list of
software programs and programming languages.

<snip>Hey, I am a WRITER, not a software engineer, project manager,
programmer, database administrator, network systems administrator, or
holy man from the East. It's nice to hear that someone thinks of writing
as the main thing a writer should be able to do.</snip>

I agree. In interviews, I would stress that I had solid writing skills,
an eye for detail, and the ability to edit both my own work and the work
of others. I had organized, well-written samples in my portfolio. I had
the requisite/non-requisite B.A. in English. Heck, I even had Word,
WordPerfect, and a basic knowledge of HTML. I was interviewing for
"junior level" Technical Writing jobs, but was excluded simply because I
had never used Interleaf, RoboHelp, Frame, or programmed my PC to speak
to me in Sanskrit.

I'm not saying that tools mastery is not important -- I just wish there
was more emphasis on the ability to write, learn quickly, and work as
part of a team than whether you know "X" software tool. I'm happy to say
that I finally found an employer who *did* look for writing ability, and
so far, I've gotten nothing but positive feedback. And I've been able
to learn FrontPage, CorelDraw, and advanced HTML skills on the fly, to
boot!

My 2 cents ...