FWD: New Manager Needs Help

Subject: FWD: New Manager Needs Help
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:11:53 -0700

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

> She has said things like, "technically you are my supervisor, so I need
your signature
> here,"

Good choice of words. *Technically* she may have the requisite skills, but
apparently not socially or politically. You're right-- she still hasn't
accepted you as her manager. Part of the problem you're having seems to me
to be based on jealousy. Were you promoted from the same job category as
this problem employee? Were you hired from outside without the job being
offered to her first?

My gut reaction is that it's likely that your management recognizes that
this person does not have the, um, ancillary (non-writing related) skills
needed to manage, and that's why they hired or promoted you.

> "I could be the lead writer, but I don't want to deal with the politics."

Oops, hang on here-- this is an important complaint. Are you in a real
management position or a lead writer position? Are you *supposed* to be
managing this person? Could you and she simply have different
understandings of your relation, power-wise and management-wise, to her?

Whatever you do, document it, and realize that this person has already
begun complaining to management or management's earpieces.

Good luck.